Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 6, 2012

Jesus, help me to love and serve others only for their sake and yours. Amen

Gospel Mt 23:1-12

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
"The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example.
For they preach but they do not practice.
They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people's shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen.
They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.'
As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.'
You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father;
you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called 'Master';
you have but one master, the Christ.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

The anonymity of motherhood often is a stumbling block for me in my walk of Faith, yet that kind of anonymity is exactly what God is calling us to in today's Gospel.  Sometimes I struggle because I get hurtful comments in stores when I go out with all my young children...it makes me not even want to attempt to go anywhere during the day...but our days are long and the last thing I want to do when my husband gets home after a long day, dinner is done and the kids are down, is go out to run errands...I love my husband and I want to spend time with him...Sometimes I struggle because of the sheer number of small children I have, and the work load that comes with that, just to look halfway socially acceptable when I do leave the house...I think wow, I'm certainly not going to evangelize anyone to this type of surrender to God in family life when I look like someone who has lost her mind!  I think Why does God want this for me?  I even struggle when my husband comes home from work and asks me how my day was...I tell him of all the wonderful moments, and of course, I let him know about the challenges...with a three year old, a two year old, and a one year old...there are challenges...just last night he looked at me with a sad look and just said something like, don't you ever just have a great day, why do you always struggle...well, I immediately broke into tears...I don't know...I try so hard, I just want to serve God and my Family, but I just can't seem to get ahead of the game.  I guess no one, not even my husband, is going to stand up and cheer when I do the hard, every day work, of surrendering to God.  It is hard, but Jesus walked the path to Calvary for me.  I can do this for Him.  Now I know why we are called to never cease praying, because that's what it takes when you are running the race towards life in Heaven with God...it seems to me...that even a few moments of lost focus flings me into despair, confusion, and frustration.  This is only because there are clearly things of this world that have a strong pull for me.

Jesus, help me to serve you joyfully, help me to have the courage to keep fighting, the Faith to know Your cross is the truth, and the supernatural Love to have the Peace that transcends all worldly understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment