Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 2, 2012 saving light vs. condemning darkness

Jesus, help me to live out an authentic spirituality, remind me that my love for you, my family, and my neighbors is more important than any one law or teaching of the church.  I seek to follow your Way, fill me so that I may be a witness to your Love. Amen 

Gospel Jn 12:44-50

Jesus cried out and said,
"Whoever believes in me believes not only in me
but also in the one who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
I came into the world as light,
so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.
And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them,
I do not condemn him,
for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.
Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words
has something to judge him: the word that I spoke,
it will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own,
but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And I know that his commandment is eternal life.
So what I say, I say as the Father told me." 

The scripture today is so important!  Jesus came as a light to the world, not to condemn, but to save!  If we desire to be like Jesus, we are to do the same.  I noticed, when I became a Mom, that there is a lot of negativity out there in terms of how Moms raise their children.  There is so much judgement about how a parent disciplines, how a new mom chooses to feed her child, how you dress them, what toys they play with and even how you put your child to sleep...This, I think, comes from how much each parent loves their own child and tries to make the best possible decisions about every element of care.  When you have come to decisions about the best possible way to care for your child, it is hard to look at Moms doing it differently and say, that is good too.  Being a new Mom is such a hard thing to be...especially if you are at home, often there is little support or positive feedback, often Moms struggle with the loss of the life they once lived and the overwhelming needs of the new little one that depends so much on her.  As Moms that love God with our whole hearts, minds, souls, and bodies, it is important that we are loving to other Moms...even if we think we know what would be better for their child;)  The truth is, a loving, happy Mom is the best Mom of all.  Love first, then, if they ask for advice or help, just tell them what you do...don't say...you should, and even if they are telling you their struggles, that doesn't mean you should jump right in with suggestions...wait until they ask.

This is the same with Faith and religion...sometimes argument about Religion is important and good...working out what God really asks of us, and what is truth...but in order for these arguments to be fruitful in bringing anyone closer to the truth of Christ, love must come first.  In teaching young women and men about what the Church teaches on Chastity, they must first understand how they are loved and special first. One of the most wonderful things of married life is that our spouses can bring us closer to heaven by loving every element of our selves knowing our faults and loving us anyway, then nudging and sometimes even pushing us in the direction of God.  The bottom line in all our interactions we must show the light of love, not the darkness of condemnation, that is for the end of time, for those who reject God. 

Father in Heaven, thank you for giving us your son, to be our light in times of darkness.  I want to ask your special Grace for new Moms that each one find someone to show them the light of love and understanding.  I also pray for young people with the challenges they face in their fight for Chastity, that you give them the full knowledge of their worth.  I pray for husbands and wives to be ever mindful of their spouses spiritual well being. Amen



1 comment:

  1. What a great post! This is very much where my heart has been lately..."Faith working through love" as Pope Benedict has written :)

    ReplyDelete