Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 21, 2012 "Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me;"

Jesus, help me to understand what accepting children in your name really means, I desire nothing else than my children to grow to love and serve you.  Help me when I begin to feel like my role is unimportant or not worthy of all the time and effort required.  Please lift me up when I feel like I can not do it on my own, because I can not, I need you every step of the way. Amen

Gospel Mk 9:30-37

Jesus and his disciples left from there and began a journey through Galilee,
but he did not wish anyone to know about it.
He was teaching his disciples and telling them,
"The Son of Man is to be handed over to men
and they will kill him,
and three days after his death the Son of Man will rise."
But they did not understand the saying,
and they were afraid to question him.

They came to Capernaum and, once inside the house,
he began to ask them,
"What were you arguing about on the way?"
But they remained silent.
For they had been discussing among themselves on the way
who was the greatest.
Then he sat down, called the Twelve, and said to them,
"If anyone wishes to be first,
he shall be the last of all and the servant of all."
Taking a child, he placed it in their midst,
and putting his arms around it, he said to them,
"Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me;
and whoever receives me,
receives not me but the One who sent me."  


For Today's Complete Readings please go to http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/022112.cfm 

Today's readings are very hard to read in conjunction.  The First reading asks us to deny the world, to rely only on God, to desire only God.  I'm not going to lie, I want, and wanted things of the world.  I do want a nice home, I want to be beautiful, and for people to give me attention, I want power, and to be honest; I had such a hard time when the realities of being a parent set in because of these things...It felt like all the things that I was still holding on to, in terms of worldly gain were stripped away...I thought I could have it all.  For me, the hardest thing to let go of has been the desire to have a positive influence on the larger world...I have always imagined myself as a leader and I wanted to lead people to God and towards TRUTH. 

Michael and I had agreed when we were dating that we would use Natural Family Planning because we felt that it was in line with the churches teachings, plus we did feel like it would be nice to start a family when we were young...I have had so many hard lessons to learn since Michael and I accepted children into our lives.  It seems that even when I try to take on more responsibilities of a more public nature at Church my plans are foiled by my little families needs...When I pray, I always ask God to make me more like him, and I see now what He wants from me.  To be His humble servant, and the humble servant of the lives he has entrusted to me...My husband Michael, my First born Katherine Faith, My Son Liam James, and my Angel Baby Mary Elizabeth.  

 Lord Jesus, thank you for my Family and my Children, I have grown so much closer to you because of them.  Amen

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, Grace!! God's grace pours out on you as a Mother and Wife and that is THE most important job He has given you and me right now!!! YOU are a witness to those around you of the importance of motherhood and the value of family!!
    A powerful quote from Mother Teresa:
    "That special power of loving that belongs to a woman is seen most clearly when she becomes a mother. Motherhood is the gift of God to women...Yet we can destroy this gift of motherhood, especially by the evil of abortion .... No job, no plans, no possessions, no idea of 'freedom' can take the place of love."
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with all of those too! And I fight against one of the worst sins of all - envy - of those moms who seem to "have it all" and do all those things that used to be part of my grander plans, in addition to being the "perfect" mom! I agree that my children, my role as a mom and wife, continue to bring me SO much closer to God every day...and to teach me patience, humility, faith, and how to LET GO of my own selfish desires and plans. Thank you for sharing this! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete